Traveling from Suriname to Indonesia





A giant globe in Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam. August 2018.

Hello all!

I traveled from Suriname (South-America) to Jakarta, Indonesia (Asia) and I’m making a post about it because I thought that my experience could be useful for other people (interested in) traveling this route.
I arrived in Jakarta on Monday (18.08.2018) around 17:35 pm. I have been traveling from Paramaribo, Suriname since Saturday 18.08.2017, 18:00 hrs (local time). I arrived at Schiphol, Amsterdam at approx. 08:00 AM (local time) on Sunday 19.08.2018 and left for Kuala Lumpur at 20:50 pm (local time) that same day. I arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Monday 20.08.2018 around 15:00 pm (local time) and on the same day I left around 15:30 pm (local time) for Jakarta. Confusing, isn't it? All those numbers and dates. I'll break it down.

Overview

Departure: Paramaribo, Suriname: Saturday 18.08.2018 at 18:00 Hrs
Destination: Jakarta, Indonesia: Monday 20.08.2018 at 17:35 Hrs
Total travel time: approx. 36 hours
Time difference: Jakarta is 10 hrs ahead of Suriname.

Layovers

My first layover was in Amsterdam. I had a 13-hour layover at Schiphol Airport. I walked around the airport, took a shower, bought some coffee, ate some fast food, bought some chocolate, chatted and video called with friends and family (internet is free and fast), posted stuff on my social media, posted a few postcards home (postcards, stamps and the postbox can all be bought and/or found in the airport) and I watched many planes arrive and take off. Not in that particular order. Oh, and I got a massage in one of the many massage chairs (€2 for five minutes). There is also this massive spinning globe somewhere in the airport.

I didn’t leave the airport as my nationality (Surinamese) requires a visa to enter the Schengen-area, which I didn’t apply for this time. For my transit purposes, my nationality wasn’t required a transit visa. But no worries, Schiphol Airport is big and there are a lot of things you can do during your layover.

My second layover was in Kuala Lumpur (KL). This layover was approx. just 30 minutes. Passengers whose destination was KL got off the plane and the plane was also here to pick passengers who wanted to travel to Jakarta. Initially I thought that I wouldn’t need to exit the aircraft, but apparently, it was mandatory. My hand luggage was allowed to remain in the aircraft and I was also allowed to bring my backpack out of the aircraft.

I think that every passenger had to leave the aircraft because the cabin crew was going to clean the aircraft and also that the cabin crew was replaced.

I exited the aircraft and proceeded to the waiting hall. Before I was allowed into the waiting hall, I had to go through a quick security check where your baggage goes through a scanner. I had to take off my shoes off as well. I remember this very well because I wore two different socks. Again, lol. For those who have followed me on social media for a while, know that I often wear mismatching socks. Sometimes accidentally, sometimes on purpose…

Tips

It is a long journey and it can get very tiring. If I could provide you with a few tips to make the journey less tiring, it would be these:

Drink enough water to stay hydrated.  
Never leave your luggage unattended, for your safety and also for the safety of others.
Freshening up makes a huge difference, so take a shower during a long layover if you are able to.

I hope that I have given you some insight on the journey on this route. If you’re about to embark on a similar journey, I wish you safe travels. But more importantly: enjoy the journey!

Greetings from Jakarta!

Anyra
Instagram: @anyrahamat

This blog was originally posted on my Medium account: https://medium.com/@anyrahamat . 
I tweaked this blog a bit before I published it here on Blogspot.

Comments